Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Shopkeeper's Abode


This is the entrance to the shop for my shopkeeper character I posted a few weeks ago. The shopkeeper also lives upstairs so I wanted to make the shop entrance double as a home entrance. It's a music shop /slash/ home.

I tried to find a balance between flat and volumetric... I still wanted it to have a vector-ish cutout feel but with a little more space so it's in keeping with the style of my character designs. I opted to get rid of obvious cast shadows to keep it more designy. I messed around with it a bit in Curves and these are two color variations. I think I'm leaning toward the top version. These are pretty much final versions, pending any significant feedback.

4 comments:

Vinoth Sivaraja said...

This is awesome! I wish I did cool stuff with colours and design like this. All your work is very well done. :)

chrystal chan said...

i likey your environmenty : ) nice colors. do you know of the book "dream worlds"?, somehow i see some similarity. Weirdly, I never watched David the Gnome as a child, but found there are full episodes on Youtube! very environmental education awarenessy

Charlene Fleming said...

Scorpio: Thanks so much! Color is one of my main focuses and it's always good to hear that people enjoy my color work.

Chrystal: Thank you! I think I have seen Dream Worlds... or maybe just on a shelf or something. Probably at WonderCon. I'll have to check it out. And they have David the Gnome on YouTube?! Sweet!

Philip Dimitriadis said...

The more I go back in your blog the more great color I see. Very nice work. I really like the variation you have displayed here.