Sunday, January 4, 2009

Teashop Finale

Here's the tail-end of the teashop piece. There are still things that I want to do to it, including adding one of the characters. I'm temporarily calling this a finished piece however because I want to go on to other facets of the project and this is pretty done anyway. I haven't designed any of the characters yet so I'll revisit this piece when I've got something more to add. That way I can also get a look at it with fresh eyes and fix everything I just can't see anymore.

Unlike most of my environment pieces, this did not start off from a drawing. I did a load of thumbnails to get a feel for what I wanted but then I realized that since I already pretty much knew what I wanted the layout of the room to be, it would be easier and faster just to model it and choose a camera angle I really liked. So I did a simple model in Maya, captured the wireframe, and just painted over that:


More sketchbookery:

I actually like this page a lot despite the fact that a few of the figures have waaay tiny heads. Most of these drawings were done at Borders.

5 comments:

Bobby Pontillas said...

Very nice I like it alot! Nice texture,clear focal point, and warm lighting...

Great first post of the year!

Matias Hyde said...

Hi Charlene! This last post is really beautiful!
Oh, and by the way...
happy new year!

Sean Petrilak said...

Nice Char Char! Is that a celtic setting. I think I see some hints in the tapestries.

Charlene Fleming said...

Thanks, guys! Trying to start the year off on the right foot... Happy New Year!

And Sean, it's Tibetan but I can totally see where you're coming from with the Celtic. :) A lot of Tibetan/Bhuddist imagery reminds me of Celtic imagery and knotwork.

Martin Kau said...

Man Beautiful paint over charlene
Things have been goin well. Baltimore is cold, but the work is good and the people around me are great to work with. I am learning a lot, it reminds me of State.