Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Book Bin #2

This installment isn’t from a book I personally own. About a year and a half ago, I checked out “Pen Drawings of Florence” by Herbert Railton from the library and was so taken with the inkwork that I scanned the entire thing at high resolution. It was published in 1890 and would’ve cost a small fortune to buy. I used to do a lot of high-detail ink renderings myself (though they weren’t nearly as well-executed as these) before I started working with washes and doing more economical drawings to record an impression.




Detail of above:


Detail of above:



Since this book was originally published almost 120 years ago and I haven’t found any recent publications of it, I’m going to assume I’m not stepping on any legal toes by sharing it. If I am, let me know and I'll remove it. For a limited time only, you can download the hi-res scans from my server so you can study the detail of the inkwork or print it out for reference or whatever. I doubt this'll burst my bandwidth limit. The file size is 144MB. If anyone knows of a place where I can put the large zip file permanently, I’d appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks and enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me a bit of Will Eisner, and to be more specific, the Dropsie Avenue series. Did you enter anything into the Spectrum competition this year?

Tel Coelho said...

WoW !!!
That's GREAT!!!!

Charlene Fleming said...

Glad you guys enjoyed!

Tony: No, I didn't enter Spectrum. I don't have much work in the vein of scifi/fantasy, I'm afraid. BTW, that Youtube Streetfighter montage you posted on your journal is beyond awesome. It brought me great joy. I had to pass the link along to a few worthy friends. :D