Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kolkata

That was a long break but I've been buried in work, busy with vacation planning and holidays, and was out of the country for a month. I visited India for 3 weeks and spent 5 days in Paris on my way back for no other reason than a mere 4 hour layover there seemed kind of absurd. Our first stop in India was Kolkata (Calcutta) where we spent 3 days. I'm surprised I got so much drawing done there but my sketching dwindled more and more with each new location.

Kolkata looks like it's being reclaimed by a jungle. Trees and plants sprout from every crack they can get a hold in often breaking up walls and roofs. The air is moist and spicy just like every book I ever read set in India described. I'd heard about the insanity of the traffic there but it was something I really had to experience to understand. Motion and color permeate your entire field of vision. The best chai I'd ever had in my life up to that point was had in a silk shop in New Market.

Here are Kolkata drawings.






No comments: